Name Origins - Names of Months
- ME Januari(us), OE Januarius, translation of Latin Januarius,
named after JANUS, god of beginnings.
- ME OE Februarius from Latin Februarius, named for Februa, the
feast of purification.
March - ME March(e), from Latin
Martius, (month of) Mars.
April - ME Averil, OF Avril,
Latin Aprilis mensis (month). The name may derive from the Greek
goddess of love, Aphrodite.
- ME OE Maius, Latin Maius mensis (month), from the Greek Maia,
goddess of spring (growth).
- ME Jun(e), OE Iunius, from Latin mensis Junius, named after the
goddess Juno, Queen of the gods.
- ME Julie, OE Julius, from Latin Julius (Caesar) after whom it
was named in 44 BC. The original name was quintilis, fifth month
in the early Roman calendar.
- ME OE Agustus from Latin Augustus (Caesar) 8 BC. The
original name was sextilis, sixth month in the early Roman calendar.
- ME Septembre from Latin September, seventh month in the early
October - ME OE from Latin October,
eighth month in the early Roman calendar
November - ME OE from Latin November,
ninth month of the early Roman calendar, from novem NINE
December - ME Decembre from OF
and Latin December, tenth month of the early Roman calendar (decem
TEN + membri from mens MONTH + ri suffix).
= Middle English
OE = Old English
OF = Old French
OHG = Old High German